On 28th February, Kamuli Mission Hospital in Uganda will celebrate 100 years of caring for the sick and needy.
The hospital was founded in 1914 by Mother Kevin, an Irish nun from the Nursing Order of The Little Sisters of St Francis. In those days, the hospital consisted of grass huts but they cared for all patients regardless of race or religion. The present buildings date from the 1960’s. Up until that time there was no doctor at the hospital, the first one started in 1962.
The President of Uganda will visit the hospital on 28th February to officially open the new and refurbished buildings. The project is a result of the tremendous amount of work done by Dr Jim McWhirter of the Rotary Club of Henley Bridge. The old and neglected buildings have been transformed and extended so that the hospital now has modern spacious facilities that will ensure it’s future for very many years to come.
Photographs of the opening ceremony will be posted as soon as they are available.